The Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) has successfully organised Electrical Engineering Student Showcase 2016 (EESS2016) on 24th May 2016 in UTM Skudai. EESS2016 was a final year student exhibition day in UTM, which provided a platform for students to showcase their research ideas in the faculty. EESS2016 was also a day of recognition to the final year students in UTM on the relentless efforts in their projects.
The IEEE Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Society (DEIS) Malaysia Chapter has supported the event by sponsoring awards for three best final year projects in the field of high voltage engineering. The aim of the awards was to enhance motivation among undergraduate students in pursuing research in high voltage engineering field. The involvement of IEEE DEIS Malaysia Chapter in EESS2016 was also part of its membership development program to introduce the society to students and participants and attract them to the society.
The objectives of EESS2016 are:
- To provide a platform for final year students to display their research projects through poster presentation and hardware demonstration
- To create awareness among students about the undergraduate and postgraduate research and development activities in the faculty
- To promote industry involvement in the activities in institutions of higher learning and exchange valuable feedbacks that can enhance the learning
- To inculcate the culture of entrepreneurship among the members of the technology by providing the exposure to the needs of industry and business
- To expose publication culture among postgraduate students in Faculty of Electrical Engineering by publishing the selected works into Jurnal Teknologi
From this event, students have gained valuable experience in presenting their work and interacting with the public. EESS2016 has fostered the mentoring relationship between students and their advisors. Students were also exposed to the reality of the workplace requirements with the involvement from industrial panels. It is hoped that this exhibition could inspire students who wish to pursue research experience to a higher level.
(Part of the text above was excerpted from here)